Making the point. Carbon neutral or carbon zero? Towards COP26: transforming climate policies and societies
The Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence on Climate Justice and the international research group “Climate Change, Territories, Diversities” have the pleasure to invite you to the our second international seminar entirely dedicated to the theme of Climate Justice (October 27th).
The conference will host several international guests to discuss the crucial issues regarding the transition toward a just and low-carbon society.
The conference will start with an overview of the global carbon budget, with a focus on present emissions and possible future scenarios. Then, will be presented mitigation campaigns for social and energy transition, specifically the international campaign for the adoption of the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty and the Italian national legal campaign “Giudizio Universale”. Chase Iron-Eyes will report the battle of the Lakota indigenous people, whose territory is strongly threatened by the fossil fuel industry. Then, the conference will investigate interactions between research and environmental battles with the campaign which led to the ban of gas flaring activities in Ecuador. Finally, the Jean Monnet Centre will share its project to map good practices of environmental justice.
The conference will be held online via the ZOOM platform. To participate register in this form
We will send you a ZOOM link the day before the conference.
PROGRAM (4:30 – 7:30 P.M. CEST)
The conference will be held in English and simultaneously translated into Italian and Spanish. Below is a brief summary of the programme:
– Francesca Da Porto | Vice Rector for sustainability, University of Padova
– Massimo De Marchi | Coordinator of Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence on Climate Justice, Dep. ICEA – University of Padova
– Anthropogenic CO2 emissions and climate change: the state of art and future scenarios | Meike Becker, Researcher at the Geophysical Institute, University of Bergen
– Leave it underground: the Fossil Fuel Non-Proliferation Treaty | Harjeet Singh, Strategic Partnerships Advisor – FFNPT
– Geonode Platform to map organizations and best practices about Climate Justice and Change | Daniele Codato, Researcher at the CoE Jean Monnet, Dep. ICEA – University of Padova
– Legal actions for climate and social justice in Italy: Giudizio Universale and other climatic mitigations launched in Italy | Luca Saltalamacchia, Italian network “Legality for climate“
– Oil development in indigenous territory: resistance and alternatives from Lakota | Chase Iron Eyes, Lead Counsel and Co-Director of Lakota People’s Law Project
– Extreme Citizen Science for Unleakable and Unburnable Carbon in Amazon | Francesco Facchinelli, Researcher at the CoE Jean Monnet, Dep. ICEA – University of Padova |
– Movements towards COP26: System change, not climate change: uproot the system: how do we do it? | John Sinha, COP 26 Coalition
// To participate register in this form